Dalits Media Watch
News Updates 17.07.12
Dalit woman succumbs to assault injuries- The Times Of India
Dalit leader sets himself ablaze in UP- Deccan Herald
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/264877/dalit-leader-sets-himself-ablaze.html
Apex court takes over Bihar dalit massacre case- Deccan Herald
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/264889/apex-court-takes-over-bihar.html
Probe on Dalit monument starts- The Times Of India
Former BSP functionary and Dalit leader commits suicide in UP- The Times Of India
The Times Of India
Dalit woman succumbs to assault injuries
KENDRAPADA: A dalit woman, who was battling for life after being allegedly attacked by some villagers at Manjarajpur in Jagatsinghpur district on June 14, succumbed to her injuries at SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack on Monday.
Doctors said the 30-year-old victim, Sasmita Mallick, had suffered serious injuries on her head and other parts of the body. She had been kept in the ICU for the past one week, the doctors added.
"The deceased's husband, Satyananda Mallick, lodged a complaint against five persons, alleging that they had attacked his wife with iron rods after she objected to some villagers defecating on their field. The complainant identified the accused as Rabi Mallick, Pabitra Mallick, Netrananda Mallick, Chabindra Mallick and Gangadhar Mallick," said officer in-charge (Kujang police station) Gupteswar Bhoi.
Sasmita was first admitted to the community health center at Kujang. She was later shifted to the orthopedic department at SCB after her condition deteriorated. Two weeks ago, the OdishaHuman Rights Commission had directed the Jagatsinghpur SP to submit a detailed report on the case. The OHRC chairman had also directed the head of the orthopedic department at SCB to submit a report on the woman's treatment.
The victim woman's husband has alleged that some politicians and policemen were trying to shield the accused persons. The Kujang OIC, however, denied lapses in the police investigation the allegations and stated that all the accused have been arrested. "We had booked them under several sections earlier. But after the woman's death, we have also charged them with murder," the officer said.
Deccan Herald
Dalit leader sets himself ablaze in UP
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/264877/dalit-leader-sets-himself-ablaze.html
Frustrated over his 'failure' to ensure development of Dalits and because of 'apathy' by public representatives towards them, a former BSP leader on Monday committed suicide by setting himself ablaze in Azamgarh town.
Baliram Prasad, 65, killed himself at Ambedkar Park at 11 pm, police said. "He was rushed to hospital, where he died later," said superintendent of police V S Meena.
Prasad allegedly consumed some poisonous substance before pouring kerosene over his body and setting himself on fire, police said. He left a suicide note.
"Public representatives are getting richer by taking the name of Ambedkar, but Dalits continue to live in abject poverty. Leaders have nothing to do with the problems of the poor. I am frustrated and concerned," the note stated.
Prasad, who contested the Assembly polls on a BSP ticket a few years back, wrote that Dalits had been suffering and were being persecuted.
Meena said police were trying to ascertain whether Prasad was being persecuted.
Deccan Herald
Apex court takes over Bihar dalit massacre case
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/264889/apex-court-takes-over-bihar.html
Human rights activists and intellectuals have welcomed the Supreme Court admitting an appeal by victims of the infamous Bathani Tola massacre in Bihar, challenging the recent acquittal of all 23 accused by the Patna High Court.
Sixteen years ago, on July 11, 1996, as many as 21 landless poor, mostly women and children from dalit, extremely backward and backward muslim communities, were massacred by a private army of landlords, the Ranveer Sena, in Bathani Tola of Ara district. Though 23 of the accused were convicted by an Ara sessions court in 2010, the Patna High Court in April 2012, acquitted all the accused.
A Supreme Court bench comprising Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice Chelameswar, on Monday, admitted an appeal against the Patna HC's acquittal. Special Leave Petition of Bathani Tola survivors had been tagged with the appeal filed by the Bihar government.
Informant Kishun Choudhury, whose wife and two daughters had been killed in the massacre, and Naeemuddin Ansari, who lost six family members, welcomed the SC action.
The Times Of India
Probe on Dalit monument starts
NOIDA: The UP Lokayukta's probe on the stones used in the construction the Rashtriya Dalit Prerna Sthal in Noida has begun. Questions were raised about the stones used in the construction of Mayawati's controversial project in the city. The report of the analysis and evidence will be submitted to the UP Lokayuktachief justice NK Mehrotra between July 19 and July 26.
Speaking to TOI on Sunday, UP Lokayukta NK Mehrotra said that, "We have started probing the matter. I have ordered concerned authorities to share details."
On asked about major misappropriation reported during the investigation into the matter, Mehrotra said, "So far only the fact finding process is going on. It will take time to establish either irregularities were made into the matter or not."
The director mining department had submitted his report to the government on April 2, 2012 in connection with the bungling in purchase of sand stone from Mirzapur, Sonebhadra, Bayana (Bharatpur) and Jaipur in Rajasthan for the constructions of these memorials in Lucknow and Noida between 2007 and 2011. The sand stones were used in the memorials in Noida and Lucknow.
According to sources in the Noida Authority there are certain irregularities in the overall construction cost of the project which are currently being investigated by the Lokayukta. "There is a question of how the total sum of Rs 150 crore was spent by the UP Rajkiya Nirman Nigam during the project. The explanation hasn't been given to the Noida Authority," said a senior official of the Authority.
With the widening of scope of the investigation, the government has targeted senior BSP leaders who were powerful ministers during previous regime. Significantly the government has also allowed the Lokayukta take the services of EOW, which is an investigative wing headed by a DG level officer of the police department. As per the notification the Lokayukta would himself decide action plan.
During Mayawati regime the government had constructed Ambedkar Smarak, Kanshi Ram Smarak, Baudh Vidhar Shanti Upvan, Kanshi Ram eco-garden, Kanshi Ram Sanskriti sthal, Rama Bai Ambekdar sthal, Prateek Stahl Samta Moolak Chauraha in Lucknow and Dalit Prerna Sthal and Green Garden on an area of 33 acre in Noida. As per the government records the total cost of these memorials was Rs. 5919 crore.
Immediately after installation of the SP government in March 2012 the chief minister Akhilesh Yadav had announced to conduct probe into massive financial irregularities in the constructions of these memorials.
The Times Of India
Former BSP functionary and Dalit leader commits suicide in UP
AZAMGARH, UP: A Dalit leader and former BSP functionary on Monday allegedly committed suicide in the collectorate compound here, police said.
Baliram Prasad (65), who was presently associated with Ambedkar Samaj Party, sprinkled kerosene and set himself ablaze in the Ambedkar Park within the collectorate compound, Superintendent of Police Vijay Singh Meena said.
He succumbed to injuries while being taken to hospital. A suicide note was found in his pocket which read that he was frustrated with the present state of affairs and working style of peoples' representatives and was taking the extreme step due to this, the SP said.
The note also said that leaders like him have toiled hard all their lives but were today facing bad times and it was most unfortunate, the SP added.
.Arun Khote
On behalf of
Dalits Media Watch Team
(An initiative of "Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre-PMARC")
...................................................................
Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre- PMARC has been initiated with the support from group of senior journalists, social activists, academics and intellectuals from Dalit and civil society to advocate and facilitate Dalits issues in the mainstream media. To create proper & adequate space with the Dalit perspective in the mainstream media national/ International on Dalit issues is primary objective of the PMARC.
No comments:
Post a Comment